Saturday, December 14, 2013

Conclusion (what I learned)

The process of organizing an exhibition of different works by various authors is definitely not as easy as it sounds. There are so many artists and their pieces it is hard to decide which ones will work for your exhibition, and which ones will not. I have never put together an art gallery before, so I started not knowing what I was doing at all. Once I got into it though some things became easier, like what I was supposed to be looking for, and what things I wanted to put in my gallery. One thing that didn’t get any easier for me at all was finding the artists information. It was simple to find the piece and who did it, but trying to find all the information like dimensions, when it was done, and the authors’ statement, or biographical information.  Since many of the artists, that I chose were not well known or famous, finding any kind of information on them was a real pain!

A job as a curator? No thank you. I enjoyed looking at all the different types of art there is, but trying to choose and research everything was much harder than I thought it would be. I definitely give props to anyone who can do this job and do it well. 
I picked a theme, (celebrity portraits) and then I found artists who do celebrity portraits. Once I got my artists and found their work that I was using, it was just finding the little details that took me the longest. I used Andy Warhol as an artist, since he was very well known and famous, finding information on any of his work was simple. But using an artist who is not well known, like Craig Alan, was a much harder thing. He is not famous or dead, so just typing his name into the Google search engine and expecting a HUGE list of information and facts on him was not working for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment