Saturday, December 14, 2013

Jason Mecier


Artist: Jason Mecier

Title: P!NK

Media: Junk items

Dimensions: 24 x 35”

Date: 2006

Biography: Born in LA, Jason Mecier is a San Francisco based 3-D portrait artist. He has spent over 10 years creating amazing 3-D mosaic portraits of his favorite music icons. 


Statement: "Though I have no formal art training, I did have an excellent mentor in my grandmother, Anita Tollefson. When I was young, I remember being mesmerized by her paintings, weavings, mosaics, sculptures, collages, and stained glass work that filled my grandparents' house and yard. If Anita was working on an art project, she would set me up at a nearby table with a project of my own to work on. One of my earliest pieces is a mosaic made from beans, noodles, rocks, and cut bamboo sticks glued on a piece of wood. My grandmother encouraged me to create masterpieces using materials readily available to me. She would rather paint on the back of her cigarette cartons than buy a canvas. I learned from her that I can make art out of anything I want to, and that there are no rules. 

How It Connects: Each portrait is created from objects disowned by celebrities and junk such as broken sunglasses, make-up, gum wrappers, jewelry, deodorant, shoes, and other items. I chose it because I love the idea that you can create something out of nothing. He uses celebrities old, used, unwanted trash to create an image of them. Its even more amazing that celebrities will actually send him their old used items and ask him to do a portrait of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment